For years, I've justified it like this:
- but it's okay because I can still do what I want to do. Maybe a little slower but I can still do it.
- but it's okay because it doesn't keep me from enjoying life.
- but it's okay because for someone my size, I look pretty good.
- but it's okay because I'm starting a diet on Monday (or after Christmas or after Thanksgiving.....)
- but it's okay because I don't wear spandex
- but it's okay because some guy thinks I'm sexy
- but it's okay because I'm not one of "those" fat people
Oh, I'm sure given enough time I could go on and on and on.
But it's not okay.
- I have no energy
- It does keep me from things like taking my kids to the water park or going dancing
- My body aches if I do more than I should (I still do it but pay for it later)
- I want to be beautiful and not "beautiful for my size"
- I worry about the health risks
So I decided to do something about it. The few times I've been mildly successful (meaning 20 lbs of weight loss), I kept it off for a bit and just counted calories. I followed the "eat less, walk more" philosophy. Then the weight would slowly creep back on.
So thanks to my mom and an early birthday present, I started Medifast/Take Shape for Life exactly one month ago today. I resisted a bit because it feels like cheating. Plus I hear all the time about "what are you going to do when you're not eating their food anymore....." But I gave it a shot.
Warning: the images you are about to see could be scary. You could have nightmares. You've been warned.
One month ago, I weighed in at 270. If you'd asked me beforehand I would have told you probably 240. I hadn't weighed myself in years.
Today I weight 250. I've lost exactly 20 lbs in one month. Amazing!
I'm sure the program isn't for everyone but I can tell you these are my favorite things about it:
- I have energy all day long. I don't have the afternoon or late morning slump
- I'm rarely hungry
- Most of the foods taste good (I will say I have some I hate like the oatmeal and several of them I had to give a second shot)
- The book that goes along with the program is a HUGE help. It really helps me work through and make the right decisions (more about that later).
- Right now my life is STRESSFUL so I appreciate not thinking about it. I grab four items, put them in my bag, and I'm ready for the day. No more trips through fast food.
I'll share some of the things I'm learning as I go along but for now let's get to those pictures (I'm really embarassed for these to be on the internet) but look at the difference in JUST one month:
|The thing that cracks me up in this one is that in the "before" shot|
I was sucking in my stomach so it wouldn't be so bad!!!
I still have a LONG long long long way to go but just look at that. More later....have a great day!