Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Love the One Your With... (or please don't text while we visit)

It's the final countdown! I'm about to embark on my annual trip to compete in the Women with Bait Steelhead Fishing Tournament with two of my great friends, Stacy and Laurie. This is our third year competing and I look forward to it all year long.

It's not that I'm an avid fisherwoman. To tell you the truth, I'm more of the "sit by the lake with a good book" kinda girl. It's that I love being on the boat with 5 really great women, a very helpful bait boy, and an entertaining guide. Add in some food to nibble on, some Crown Royal to warm me up, and a canyon that makes it impossible to get on the internet or have cell service and I'm in heaven!!

The first year we took this trip, I remember realizing that for an hour I hadn't thought of anything. Seriously. Other than the occassional "wow, look at that eagle" or "I hope I get to see the Big Horn Sheep" - not a single thought crossed my mind. I wasn't running through a checklist of things I needed to do. I wasn't thinking of the laundry I left at home or the dishes in the sink.

And to make it even better, my cell phone had not rung one time. I didn't feel the need to look at it to see if I missed a call because there is absolutely no cell service in the canyon. I didn't check facebook or my email. I didn't feel the need to "check-in" at this spot or that spot so that the world would know where I was.

My girlfriends and I laughed and visited...with eachother. In person. No texting. No perusing status updates while one of us tried to make conversation.

I've learned that this weekend is about the people I'm with. I think in some ways we're losing that as a society. We're so connected that we're disconnected.

Think about it. Have you ever left your cell phone at home? You feel like you've lost a limb! How many times have you sought a conversation with a friend via text? Have you ever sat in a room full of people talking all around you and you find yourself posting on facebook or texting other friends?

For example, this past week I went to Bunco. If you've never been, 12 girls split into groups of four to sit at three different tables and roll the dice. It's fun (and oftened referred to as Drunko). As I sat at the first table, two of the girls introduced themselves then promptly went back to texting. When it was their turn, they'd roll with the free hand, never putting down the cell phone. As I moved to the other table, one of the girls had her phone on the table next to her, open to Facebook. She was chatting with someone on it. I'd like to say that's where it ended but by the end of the night, these women were attempting to take eachother's phones and post lewd, rude comments on Facebook before the other person noticed.

I walked away wondering if I'm getting old. I like to connect with the people in the room, the friends I chose to spend my evening with. It's okay to text when it's necessary but this went on all night long. I won't even say much about posting on someone's facebook page. I'm only 36. I'd think that was behavior of a 15 or 16 year old. I might even give you some leeway if you're 21. But truth be told, my friends on facebook are a mix of personal and professional.

So off my soapbox, I've been doing pretty good marking stuff of my 37x37 list. Here's my progress so far:

I took Marcus to a concert. We went to Los Lonely Boys and I have to say it's in my top three for favorite concert ever. The acoustics were great, it seemed small and intimate instead of like I was in the nosebleeds and Marcus loved it!

I sent cards to friends. Once in January and once in February. Just to say hi, I'm thinking of you!

I've read six books so far (29 left to go). I have to admit my last three choices were less than review worthy.

I've also managed to work out at least once per week. Sometimes it's even been twice. At this rate, I should lose a pound this year.

And last but not least, I've actually managed to put $50 in savings and not touch it. Hmmm, now that I mention it.....there are those red high heels calling my name..........

No comments:

Post a Comment